Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost

Title: Mass Effect: Paragon Lost
Media: Movie
Rating: Four and a Half Spaceships

Mission Briefing:
James Vega and his team manages to save a reasearch colony on Fehl (sp?) Prime from the Blood Pack. But then the team is assigned guard duty. 2 years pass without trouble...
And then some mysterious bug-like aliens attack!!!
Along with some new dude and the asari researcher Treeya, who James is crushing on, James has to save the colony again, and defeat the aliens. But will he be successful? Will he live up to be like his hero, Commander Shepard?
What will happen?

Mission Report:
This movie was surprisingly good!
Thing is, there were a few issues. Some was lore-wise. I've heard that there were complaints on sizes of the Collectors. Okay, maybe for the hunter. But when I was playing Mass Effect 2, I was too busy blasting Collectors to really notice the size!
But the Alliance gaining data on the Collectors and Reapers? Shouldn't the Alliance (and the Council) have done something due to that in the games or books? Okay, admittedly, the fourth M.E. book wasn't good, especially lore-wise, but there was no backing in the third book. I felt like that was a lore glitch, and I'm not appreciative of those. There were a few other glitches as well.
Also, it was a lot gorier than I was expecting. Yeah, yeah, it was Mass Effect, so gore was supposed to jump in. It was still gorier than I expected, or really cared for. Okay, most was blood effects.
My other biggest sure complaint is how the krogans were drawn. It was horrible!!! I was still able to tell that they were krogan, but they looked like a different, new species! AW MAN, PEOPLE!!!
Otherwise, the art was excellent. The rest of the aliens were done extremely well... and not just humans! Most of the Collectors were great (except the hunter... after they had shown the marine and the effect once, they didn't have to keep repeating. It was annoying, and I kept being drawn to her whenever she was on screen as part of the hunter. YEESH!). Also, the asari, varren, and vocha were all excellent! You could tell what those were!
Admittedly, the CGI was a little weak. But it was still cool, especially when we got to see the old MAKO tank. I may really don't like driving that thing, but seeing it on-screen and as part of this movie was really cool.
Also, seeing all those elements I knew from the games was cool. I recognized the Collector ship. Plus seeing how the pods worked on picking up their victims and opening up was cool.
Also, I saw familiar characters! We saw Liara T'Soni, David Anderson, and even Admiral Hackett! Of course, James Vega, who is a team member in Mass Effect 3, was the main character. I was glad to have the opportunity to learn more about James Vega. I feel like M.E.3 just dropped the character on me... but I'll probably cover that in more detail when I review Mass Effect 3.
The movie was pretty enjoyable. Good action, mostly-good art (it was an anime), and high levels of enjoyment, despite the not-enjoyable parts...
All in all, this was a good movie. Nice job, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment